Thursday, April 13, 2006

Thursday Thirteen 04/13


Cat Lady's 13 Favorite Cookbooks

I LOVE cookbooks. I'm always collecting them and have an entire bookshelf in my kitchen devoted to them. I love to cook, and am always looking for something new to try. My husband and family are more than willing to try new dishes. Some of them aren't ever repeated, and some of them become family favorites. Here are a few of my favorites.

1…. Pillsbury One-Dish Meals Cookbook - This is a fabulous cookbook that has page after page of wonderful recipes that are quick and easy, along with nutrition information.

2.... Cooking with the Groundhog - This cookbook used to belong to my grandmother, who is from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania... the home of the groundhog. I know I've found them for sale on E-bay. Good old-fashioned recipes from the Adrian hospital Auxillary, printed between 1958 and 1967... a great classic. (And there is not a single recipe that calls for groundhog!)

3.... The Cake Doctor - Lots of great ideas using a cake mix... and not just for making cakes.

4.... The Betty Crocker Cookbook - A reliable stand-by. I like that it has cuts of meat and how to cook fresh vegetables, as well as substitute charts and basic recipes.

5.... Better Homes and Gardens Potato Favorites - I picked this up at the grocery store check-out line and I love it. Wonderful side dishes instead of the same old mashed potatoes.

6.... Pillsbury Hamburger - Another great cookbook(let) I picked up in the grocery line. When I want something quick and I have hamburger on hand, this is the book I turn to.

7... Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook - This book has great slow cooker recipes that are healthy and tasty, with nutrition information.

8.... The Five Ingredients or Less Cookbook - I bought this from a high school fundraiser and LOVE it. From appitizers to main dishes, vegetables to desserts, this book has quick and easy recipes that my family likes.

9.... Lion House Classics - The most wonderful, best tasting dinner rolls you will ever eat in your entire life. The other recipes are good too, but I would have bought the book just for the dinner rolls. They are in a class by themselves.

10. Star Trek Cookbook - My husband didn't believe me when I told him I wanted this cookbook. He is a Trek fan, and I thought it would be fun to have this book. I love the recipes, and even if I don't cook many of them, it is fun to own.

11. Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook - Another reliable standby with classic recipes and simple, easy to follow instructions.

12. Betty Crocker Casseroles & Slow Cooker Meals - Contains good ideas for after-work dinners that the family will eat. Most are fast and use only basic ingredients.

13. My Cookbook - Probably my most used... my husband bought me a specially designed three ring binder for 5x8 paper. This cookbook is designed with a flap in the back that makes it stand upright, and dividers for different recipe categories. Specifically printed 5x8 paper lets me write down my favorite recipes and keep them in one place. If I find a recipe on the 'net, I can print it and hole punch it and add it to this book. I love the unique design. He found it at a store called Consider the Kitchen, and I've looked online but can't find one that looks like it.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Skittles

2. Thougts and Jots

3. Lazy Daisy

4. Carmen's blog

5. Karen's blog

6. Sheri's blog

7. Heather's blog

8. Lifecruiser



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




13 comments:

Chaotic Mom said...

I LOVE cookbooks! I have WAY too many. Might use this idea for a future T13, too. ;)

My T13 is up!

Tanya said...

I never use cookbooks. And I really, REALLY should.

My 13 are up.

Unknown said...

I get a Kraft foods magazine free every 4 mos. and it has great quick ideas. You can get it at kraftfoods.com. They are really good too. My TT is up.

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

I love cookbooks, have been collecting them for years. My favorites are the real old ones of my mother's :)

Carmen said...

I'll have to get the cake one and the hamburger one!

Thanks for stopping by. Did you go to the thursday thirteen hub? I don't remember seeing you on the blogroll. :)

Lazy Daisy said...

My Betty Crocker Cookbook has been rebound several times ( I swear by it) I hope Paula Dean is in town too...cept there will be a longer line at the restruant. Have a Happy Easter.

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

The 5 ingredients or less sounds just like something I would use. I should check into it.

My TT are up too. Happy Thursday!

Strong Enough said...

That is great list. I need to check this cookbooks out! I am all about #1.

Unknown said...

Sweet! I am totally gonna look for the Star Trek cookbook!

Jen said...

Ooh, I'll have to look for that Trek one, how cool!

My list is up!

John said...

Wow...look at all the interest in the Star Trek cookbook. Who would belive that I thought you were mocking me when you first said you wanted it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.