Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Leaves!!


I love the fall leaves!! I'm glad my little girls do to. Their big sister Peach took them out this weekend and they made big piles of the fallen leaves. Actually, most of the trees in the area haven't even turned yet. I love the time of year when everything is in color. The mountains are all in fall colors, and it is beautiful to go look at. Here in the valley, they are just beginning. It actually snowed this weekend, so the cold snap should bring the color out. When I was a child and lived in New England, we have marvelous falls. We had a lot of trees in our yard and I remember raking and raking leaves. We would have piles so big, and it was the best fun to run and jump into them. We stuffed scarecrows, and had bags and bags of leaves for the trash. I loved the maple leaves. They were the most colorful of all. Those memories of playing in the fall leaves are some of my best. It is a wonderful time of the year. I love the pumpkins out and the crispness in the air. There was a place in Massachusetts that we went to called Atkins. The place was big like a barn. To a child it was huge. It smelled like apples and pumpkin pie and maple syrup. There was a huge vat and they would actually make their own maple syrup from the maple trees in the area. I thought it was incredible and wonderful. I loved going there. It was one of my favorite places to go. We usually would get a small piece of maple sugar candy as we left, usually in the shape of a leaf. That was our treat. I remember the smells vividly even though I haven't been there in 30 years. We may not have an Atkins market, but we do have corn mazes, apple groves, pumpkins and plenty of fall leaves. I'm glad of that. When we lived in Texas, the leaves didn't really change color. Fall was missing. I hated that. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I'm glad it is finally here, and I'm doubly glad my girls can enjoy it like I always did. Bring on the leaves!

No comments: